Friday, January 25, 2013

Your Will Be Done

Going a little ahead, he fell on his face, praying, "My Father, if there is any way, get me out of this. But please, not what I want. You, what do YOU want?" ~ Matthew 26:39 (MSG)

Are you one of those people who like to fix everything? I am! If I see someone going through something, I want to make it all better. I want to fix all their problems. When situations come into my life or my family's lives, I naturally want to look for a solution. My mind wants to reason everything out and come up with a plan.

Jesus was about to face the most horrific circumstances that anyone could possibly face. He knew what was awaiting Him. He was about to be beaten, tortured, and ridiculed which would all lead up to His death on the Cross. He asked God to get Him out of this situation. He had the power to turn the whole thing around. But He knew there was more to it than His own personal convenience. He knew there was a far greater purpose than the torture that was awaiting Him. He was so committed to His purpose that in spite of His desire to be delivered from this situation, He was willing to submit to God's will. He was willing to follow through and endure everything because He knew we needed Him. He knew we would have no hope if He didn't carry out the plan. He loved us so much that He willingly laid down His life for us.

I think about that sometimes when I'm faced with difficult situations. I'm crying out, "God, please get me out of this!" but deep in my heart I know there's a greater purpose. It's not about me. It's not about you. God's eternal purpose for our lives is far greater than the temporary pain we are facing. He needs us to follow through so that lives will be reached and transformed. He needs us to be committed to our purpose and out of a heart filled with love and compassion, carry out the plan that we were created for. There are people we will encounter that will not be reached by anyone else. They are our assignment. They are watching us. They are paying close attention to our reaction to situations. They are watching Jesus in our lives. They need to see His glory in our lives. If we never have to walk through the dark valley, they won't see Him the way they need to. Anyone can smile and be an encouragement to others while the sun is shining. But what happens when everything in the world is coming against you? Do you still keep smiling? Do you continue to be an encouragement and show others the way?

The storms we face are the perfect setting for God to be revealed in and through us. The pain is only temporary. The end result will be worth it all! Stick to the plan...people are depending on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment